Duncan & Christina - no concrete
Duncan & Christina dream was to extend cottage based on “No Concrete” idea, as clients wanted to get sustainable and natural materials only in their new extension.
Therefore, clients reached to us, and iDomus Wood Only Envelope method was discussed.
Old part of the stone house was built in the end of 19th century. It is connecting smoothly to new extension via hallway leading to new back door.
New build foundation base was screw pilling. Suspended floor, walls, pitched and flat roof constructed solely from mass timber panels and glulam beams.
Externally was applied air tightness tape on all timber panel connections, then eco-friendly wood fiber thermal insulation, on top weather membrane.
Vertical and horizontal Larch battens were prepared for vertical Charred Larch cladding application in Amber color.
Facts. Glulam structure - used about 35m3 timber. This means it is stored more than 31 tone of CO2 in GL structure only.
A typical passenger vehicle emits about 4.6 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year.
Total weight of wooden structure - only 18 tones.
Difficult entrance to the building, where only access through the garden door 0.9x2m. But all is possible with HBE, all panels were carried by hand into back yard!
- It was pleasure working on this project with amazing eco-minded clients. We wish you all the best in your new home!
- Timber design calculations based on EURO 5 standard has been provided by iDomus Construction
- Architects – GAIA Ecotecture
- Site Engineer – Banrach
- Fixings – Rothoblaas
- Membrane/Insulation – Commons House Design
- Windows/doors – Home Improvements Ireland
- Cladding manufacturer – Degmeda